Monday, February 23, 2009

A Funky Situation  


What do you get when you mix B.T. Express and Brass Construction? This is the only track by Garnett Mims & Truckin' Company; but Garnet Mims (with one t) was a soul singer from Ashland, West Virginia in the mid 60's. It was produced by Jeff Lane from B.T. Express and Randy Muller from Brass Constructionin 1977. The back track sounds very much like any from Brass Construction's self titled LP, but with screaming guitar and funky proto-rave synth work. The guitar can be a bit much, but I am a sucker for tambourine.

Garnett Mims & Truckin' Company - What It Is

Garnett Mims & Truckin' Company - What It Is (Part II)

Posted by Joel Brüt | 5 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ A Funky Situation


  • February 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

    i love this one, but i've had some long standing questions about it that we may be able to get to the bottom of. i have this release:

    http://tinyurl.com/bq7uf3

    which has a 6:20 long version on it. it appears that you guys have the other 12" that has part 1 and part 2, right? in which case, the total times of both added is about 7:00. unless you guys recorded this from a 7" or LP, that means that there is something different about the mix i have. i'll have to listen to them side by side and figure it out.

    anyway, awesome track that i have been banging on for years only to see two people (you and a local cat) bring it out in like a 2 week period!


  • February 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

    Yeah, crazy! Mine is a flat black with baby blue Arista pressing: 12 Arista 109. It is 45 RPM and has part II on the flip. I was going to join the parts together, but no I am glad I didn't!


  • February 24, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

    I uploaded the correct pic for the release and changed the spelling to "Mims" from "Mimms". Discogs has many messed up spellings for this release.


  • March 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

    I was just turned on to BeatElectric. Loving it! thanks for the NICE rips...I've been look for this Garnet Mims track ever since the Randy Muller article in Wax Poetics. THANK YOU!!! and let me know if anyone is ever swinging through Detroit.


  • December 13, 2012 at 3:55 AM  

    Been looking for this track version 03:44 for ages to complete a missing CD that I have from a 5 CD box set, how it got lost from my set I just can never understand, and this was the last track I needed to make up the disc again, so I thank you for this.

    By the way, I love those record decks you have on the sidebar here :-)

    VR