Saturday, May 30, 2009

Some T.K. Favorites  


T.K. Disco is one of the disco power house labels, if you have spent any time at all collecting old dance 12"s then you would have come across one of their releases on almost every excursion. They put out records by just about everyone in genres from funk to pop rock, and on occasion tasted billboard top 10 success. They were out of Miami and above is a picture taken in the distribution warehouse beneath the then main recording studio. A storied and well documented label.

T.K. put out a lot of shit in it's time, but when you had the volume of output that they did that could be expected, but the main thing is that they also put out a lot of heat, including amongst them some moderate rarities.

Here are some of my T.K. favorites, including some popular four to the floor, some psych funk and some r'n'b, all from master tape:

Quartz - Beyond the Clouds
Johnny Harris - Odyssey
Herman Kelly & Life - Dance to the Drummer's Beat
Uncle Louie - Full Tilt Boogie
Paul Lewis - Girl, You Need a Change of Mind
Tempest Trio - Love Machine

Posted by Black Shag | 10 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



10 comments: to “ Some T.K. Favorites


  • May 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

    Great post! Of course TK Disco is based in Miami (I always smile when I see those palm trees on the covers. Now I know what it's all about!). I always pass up on Odyssey when I'm buying records but I think I'll just pick it up (and look for "Full Tilt Boogie." Awesome!) Thanks for the post!


  • May 31, 2009 at 4:48 AM  

    "Behind the Clouds" is so good


  • May 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

    Is that Harry Wayne Casey (KC) in the pic? Odyssey is a great track. Some of those tracks seem like a bit of a departure from their usual sound ethics.


  • June 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM  

    it DOES look like KC. One of my fave TK 12s is "I don't care what you say I'm gonna love you tonight" by Rocky Mizell (I think...can't be bothered digging out the record). Thanks for the post, I don't know the tracks you put up :D


  • June 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

    Kc worked in the stock room at TK ... at nite he was given access to the studio and the rest is history. His "Lifted" is some stellar funk !! ... if anyone hasn't heard this FIND IT ... unfortunetly time has aflicted him with forever being known as "shake, shake, shake ..." but that 'K.C. & the sunshine junkanoo' band had it in the pocket. I get kinda sad every time I see him now days. I know that accident messed him up good and the loss of mechanical royalties has forced him to forever be a slave to "Shake yer booty" ... even though he wrote a grip of hits for Stone. - peace/dub_13


  • June 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

    Full Tilt foo!


  • June 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

    This comment has been removed by the author.


  • June 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

    been meaning to rip full tilt boogie for a minute..one of my personal favs. Now I have it from your sexy ripper! Even better!


  • January 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM  

    Thank you for "Odyssey". <3


  • January 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM  

    Thank you for "Odyssey". <3